HIGHLIGHTS FROM EUROPE:
Bio-based Plastics and Composites – Biorefineries and Industrial Biotechnology
This conference aims to provide major players from the European bio-based chemicals, plastics and composite industries with an opportunity to present and discuss their latest developments and strategies.
Representatives of political bodies and associations will also have their say alongside leading companies. For the first time, the conference will count with a third day especially dedicated to science and start-ups – getting them in touch with investors and industry. One highlight of the conference will be the presentation of the first running European biorefineries and the state-of-art of Industrial Biotechnology. It’s one of the biggest conferences with more than 180 participants from all over the world and an exhibition which provides an excellent platform for your networking!
++ Preliminary programme with 19 speakers form 10 countries is online ++
Highlights of the European leading countries in bio-based economy
1st day (8 April 2014): Policy and Industry; 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Policy & Strategy
- Michael Carus, nova-Institut GmbH (DE): improved political framework for bio-based economy – A reform proposal for the Renewable Energy Directive, Great Britain: European Industrial Hemp Association (EIHA) – status and outlook
- Henk van Liempt, Federal Ministry of Education and Research of Germany (DE): Industrial bioeconomy and public funding strategy in Germany
- Rafael Cayuela, STYRON Europe GmbH (CH): The Future of Chemical Industry and especially the role of bio-based Chemistry
- Dr. Stefaan de Wildeman, Aachen-Maastricht Institute for Biobased Materials (NL): Decentralized biopolymer production based on many new building blocks
Biorefineries in Europe
- Stefano Facco, Novamont (IT): Successful story of Novamont biorefinery in Italy
- Gudbrand Rødsrud, Borregaard (NO): Borregaard’s biorefinery concepts
- Dr. Hedda Weber, Lenzing AG (AT): Activities of Lenzing in the bio-based economy
- Anna Holmberg, Arizona Chemical (US/NL/SE): Biobased specialty chemicals / creating a profitable business by combining green innovation with performance
Innovation Award (6 presentations)
2nd day (9 April 2014): Industry; 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Industrial Biotechnology & Bio-based building blocks
- Dr. Will van den Tweel & Richard Janssen, Reverdia (NL/FR): Succinic acid – a new bio-based building block on the run
- Dr. Frederic Pâques, Global Bioenergies (FR): Direct fermentation for Isobutene, Butadiene and Propylene production: a highway to renewable plastics, synthetic rubber and fuels
- Ylwa Alwarsdotter, SEKAB BioFuels & Chemicals AB (SE): Towards the Cellulosic Technology Platform – Enabling the bio-based economy
Bio-based plastics & polymers
- Roland Essel, nova-Institut GmbH (DE): Plastic microparticle in the environment: An increasing problem – are biodegradable plastics a solution?
- François de Bie, Corbion (formerly PURAC) (NL): PLA technology of Corbion and new fields of applications
- Jean-Luc Dubois, Arkema (FR): Developments in bio-based Polyamides by Arkema
- Rémi Perrin, SOPREMA (FR): Bio based hydrophobic and durable thermoplastic elastomers for building construction materials
- Dr. Asta Eder / Michael Carus, Asta Eder Composite Consulting (AT/FI) / nova-Institut GmbH (DE): Wood-Plastic Composites (WPC) and Natural-Fibre Composites (NFC): European and Global Markets 2012 and Future Trends
- Karim Behlouli, ECOTECHNILIN (FR): Innovative non-woven products and composites made from natural fibers
3rd day (10 April 2014): Science; 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Science & Start-ups
- Dr. Gunnar Engelmann, Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Polymer Research IAP (DE): Lignin from domestic black liquor for the production of fibre reinforced thermosets
- Dr. Jan Ravenstejn, Biopolymer Consultant (NL): PHAs, are they here to stay? – The role of start-ups for the PHA production worldwide
Innovation Award “Bio-based Material of the Year 2014”
For the seventh year running the Innovation Award “Bio-based Material of the Year” will be granted to the young, innovative bio-based chemicals and materials industry for finding suitable applications and markets for bio-based products. The competition focuses on new developments in these areas, which have had (or will have) a market launch in 2013 and 2014, exclusively coming from Europe this time round. Apply now and present your bio-based innovation to an expert audience!
The deadline for the application is: 14 February 2014
Tel.: +49 (0) 22 33 – 48 14-51
Science & Start Ups:
Start-ups from the field of bio-based chemistry and polymers will introduce themselves on the third day of the conference. Interested?
Call for papers
Would you like to contribute to the conference with your presentation on recent developments within the field’s markets, technology or sustainability? We appreciate your proposal! Just send an abstract and a suggested title by e-mail to Mr Achim Raschka.
The deadline for the call for papers is: 14 February 2014
Tel.: +49 (0) 22 33 – 48 14-51
Aachen-Maastricht Institute for Biobased Materials (AMIBM)
Asta Eder Composites Consulting
Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF)
Fraunhofer-Institut für angewandte Polymerforschung (IAP)
STYRON Europe GmbH