Graphic of the scientific paper „The Use of Food and Feed Crops for Bio-based Materials and the Related Effects on Food Security“ (PNG)
Promoting Evidence-based Debates and Recognising Potential Benefits
The graphic shows the multiple potential benefits of using food and feed crops for bio-based materials, in terms of climate, land productivity, environment, farmers, market stability, feed security and food security.
- The climate wins – Bio-based materials are part of the solution to achieve climate change mitigation.
- Land productivity wins – The competition between applications is not for the type of crop grown, but for the land
- The environment wins – due to increased resource efficiency and productivity of food and feed crops.
- Farmers win – because they have more options for selling stock to different markets.
- Market stability wins – due to increased global availability of food and feed crops.
- Feed security wins – due to the high value of the protein-rich co-products of food and feed crops.
- Food security wins – due to the increased overall availability of edible crops that can be stored and flexibly distributed.
Date of publication